New Year's Resolutions – Home Building Edition
The end of the year is fast approaching and it’s time to think about your New Year’s Resolutions. Here are our suggestions for some resolutions you can set for your home – regardless of what stage of the home building journey you are in.
Setting New Year’s Resolutions for your Home
Maybe you are still saving for the deposit or have already moved into your brand new home. Regardless of your situation, there are always goals to be set to build and improve your home.
I’m still saving…
If you’re still in the process of saving then the entire journey is ahead of you! There is so much that you can aim for in the new year:
- If you’ve just begun saving, start by setting monthly savings goals. Ensure you set goals that are achievable so that you’ll remain motivated by your own success throughout the year. You can also plan to speak to a lending institution to get the ball rolling and to ensure you’re in the best possible financial position.
- Maybe you’ve been saving for a little while and think you’re ready to start looking for land/a builder. This is the year you have been waiting for! Set some dates to reach your final savings goal, and set a goal for getting pre-approval for your loan. It’s also time to set some goals re. obtaining your land or demolishing your existing home.
A few weeks ago we shared some saving tips. If you need help reaching your savings goals, you might want to check it out!
I’m all saved up and ready to go!
So, you’ve got your finances sorted and the block is yours and is registered or registering in 2017. Your new year’s resolutions should revolve around securing the land and a builder.
- Get in the know! Your first goal of the year should be to educate yourself about the building process. Get to know what to look out for in Tenders and Inclusions so that you are prepared before you have a pile in front of you.
- If you haven’t started researching builders, there is no better time to start. Set goals for meeting with builders and viewing displays.
- Finalist your personal wish list to help make the Tendering process easier.
- Sign the contracts! If 2017 is the year then aim to have your contracts signed by a certain time. Remember that signing the contracts will lock in a start date for the beginning of construction, so if you want construction to start in 2017, don’t leave this until too late in the year.
My new home is already under construction!
Just because you’re already in the process it doesn’t mean that there aren’t goals to set!
- Work with your builder to set a date for handover. You builder might not be able to give you an exact date just yet but they will be aiming for an approximate time of completion.
- It’s then time to wrap up the alternative accommodation that you’ve been using. Start boxing up your items, selling the stuff you don’t want to take with you to the new home and begin ordering any new furniture.
My new home is ready/almost ready for handover…
You’re nearing the end of the journey (for this time at least) so your new year’s resolutions should revolve around the big day!
- Think about anything you need to get done before you and your furniture move in. If there is anything that you’ve opted to complete after handover then you should organise for these to be completed. Book your trades and/or purchase your materials so that this process will be over quickly and smoothly.
- Organise your deliveries and truck hire. Once you know your move in date, you should organise getting your stuff to your new home. If you’ve ordered new furniture and appliances, have it delivered straight to the new home – book in the deliveries in advance to get the times you want. If you’re moving existing furniture, you should book in the truck (or rally the family troops) to ensure that all of your stuff gets to your new home in one piece.
- Redirect your mail to your new address (providing there is a letterbox installed!)
- Update your residential address. There are so many places that require your residential address and The Australian Government has created a pretty handy downloadable checklist to help you out.
I’ve already moved in…
If you’ve already moved in then there are plenty of new year’s resolutions that you can set for your home.
- Think about the areas inside the home. Houses are something that always require constant upkeep. If there is anything that you’ve been putting off fixing, updating, or adding, 2017 is the year to get these things done.
- Often when you move into a new home, the outside can get a little overlooked. If the area around your home is looking a little neglected, it’s time to show the gardens some TLC!
- Maybe you’re even considering taking on another project? If you enjoyed the building journey and cannot wait to have another go, why not start planning? Use 2017 to figure out exactly what you want to do. Maybe someone else in your immediate family is looking to build or you might be looking to embark on an investment opportunity. Start researching, planning and saving.
Look forward to 2017!
Regardless of where in the building journey you are, there is no reason why you can’t set yourself some new year’s resolutions to help you get into your new home.
Merry Christmas & so long 2016! We look forward to seeing you all again on the other side of NYE!