The Little Things Make a Big Differents
So, you’re trying to choose and build a new home. You’ve been paying attention to all the major details. You have already spent time finding the perfect block. You’re reading and looking over tenders, selecting your colours but it is very easy to overlook the small things that will make your home easy to live in.
Here is my list of the little things that will make a huge difference in your new home:
The little things…
It’s not uncommon to have an electrical appointment included as part of your home building process. There are a few things that I think you should pay attention to while you’re there.
I recommend paying lots of attention to the simple everyday things. The best place to start is in the kitchen.
Think about the appliances that never leave your kitchen benchtop – the kettle, toaster, coffee machine. Maybe you charge your phone in the kitchen? It is essential to make sure that you have enough powerpoints in the right places. It will make your kitchen that little bit more functional and easy to use.
Also think about the other places in the home that you need lots of powerpoints, such as around the TV or in the Study/Computer room. Spend time thinking about how you will practically use the space and where you might need those plugs to be.
Every room needs lights and you may have already considered downlights for your new home. There are some key places that you should think about when selecting where the lights in your home will go:
- Laundry door – make sure there is an outdoor light above your laundry door.
- Where your bins are kept – whether you’re taking the garbage bags out late at night or putting the bins out on bin night, having lights near the bins and along the path from their parking to the kerb will be a useful addition that you’ll thank yourself for later.
- Spotlights at the front – having the path from the driveway to the front door illuminated at night is very useful.
- Feature lights – these can add style to your home. Be they pendants over the kitchen benchtop or up and down lights to add an extra element to your facade – feature lights can be a great accessory.
- Hallways – not having enough light in your hallway is an incredibly common problem! Some hallways may require a skylight for during the day but you can also turn your hallway into a feature by adding creative lights to illuminate the space.
Don’t take for granted the taps on the outside of your home. Here are a few ideas for some extra taps outside that can make a huge difference.
- Your Alfresco – think about how your alfresco will be used. Maybe you will add a kitchen later, or you plan on putting the BBQ there. Making sure there is a tap available can make the alfresco more functional.
- Extra’s at the front or back – most builders include at least one outdoor tap but think about what you’ll use it for. If you think you’ll utilise extra at the front or back of your home then add them while you can – you won’t regret the decision later.
- Near your bins! Having an extra tap near where your bins live can be super helpful. There’s nothing worse than having a smelly bin right outside a bedroom window.
All of these little things make living in your new home even more enjoyable. You are building the home from scratch, after all! So why not make sure the little things are customised perfectly for you.